Friday, April 18, 2008

Earth Quaker

No, I'm not talking about Earth Quaker, a character from The Tick. I'm talking about a little earthquake we experienced here in central Indiana this morning. Earthquakes aren't really anything we regularly notice. I guess that's kind of nice. It helps offset the ice storms and the tornadoes.

Anyway, it was an exciting start to the day. I've had trouble getting up early recently and this definitely did the trick. You can't really snooze your house when it's shaking around you. Here's how it happened. My alarm went off at 5:30am. I thought "Just a couple more minutes." I'm sure I was on my way to another hour of sleep when the house rumbled at around 5:37am. The bed, the dresser, the window blinds were all shaking. Our son slept through the whole thing but it woke up our dog who proceeded to curl up right near me at the head of the bed.

There were news reports the previous night about a sonic boom just north of us as part of an Indiana Air National Guard training session so we wondered if this was something similar though there wasn't any sound. I found the articles on the quake this morning.

Lesson: it takes an earthquake to get me into the office early.

No comments: