Friday, February 16, 2007

Fitness by Brett

I scored a great deal on a second-hand Bowflex a couple months ago and I love the thing. I need to use it more often but that but that’s another entry altogether. What’s become painfully clear, though, is that I need to work on some sort of aerobic activity. I ran cross-country in high school and that was good. I’ve since dabbled in running but never with the kind of commitment needed to gain real health benefits.

I think the biggest problem with that kind of long-distance running is that it’s really “jogging”. Honestly, I don’t find jogging to be all that fun. Mind you, I do like to run but it really has to be running. I need to feel the air rushing by. I need to see the scenery lose focus. I need to feel like I actually have to lean forward to keep my legs from leaving my body behind (notice the italicized "running").

Besides, when do you ever really need to jog? When, in real life, will I ever need to travel 8 miles on foot and at a pace faster than a walk? When my car breaks down? And my moped breaks down. AND my bicycle breaks down? That doesn’t seem likely. C’mon, mopeds run forever.

Now, running is a skill you can really use. Chasing the dog in the back yard…running. Catching my kid before he falls down…running. The impending zombie horde uprising (believe me, they’re just biding their time)…definitely running.

So, here’s my new workout plan. Whenever I’m out on errands, I’m going to run the parking lot. Yep. Instead of searching for a good spot, I’ll just park and book-it to the entrance. When I’m done, I’ll bolt to the car. It’ll be top speed or nothing, even if I have to push a cart. Sure, it’ll be awkward to leave my wife at the car while I run to the store but she’ll probably appreciate me getting back early enough to pick her up at the store exit. Otherwise, I’m thinking people will just assume I’m in a huge rush without actually realizing I’m just checking out the stock of Hot Wheels cars.

With the stops at Target, the library, and work, I bet I can get in multiple 100-yard dashes each day. And think of the time savings!

No comments: