Friday, March 02, 2007

2007: Reading List

Now that it’s March, it seems like a good time to lay out some of my plans for 2007. Among my many goals, I really want to spend more time reading. I don’t know why I don't currently spend more time in a good book. I’m sure I could make excuses but there wouldn't be much substance to them. The point is, I do enjoy reading. Plus, reading is probably the second best thing I can do to improve my own writing (another of my goals for the year).

Anyway, my initial list for the year is as follows:

1. The Bible
Do you italicize that? Anyway, I just finished 1 Chronicles. My goal isn’t necessarily to finish but, rather, to both read and comprehend what I read on a regular basis.

2. Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
I’ve flipped through the book and it looks good. Beyond that, I don’t know much about it.

3. 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller
Career books are hard for me to read. This on is recommended by Dave Ramsey so we will see.

4. The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction by Stephen Koch
I’m actually fairly deep into this already. Good stuff. There have been several things regarding writing and storytelling that are defintely contrary to my previous notions of the process. It makes more sense than my thinking.

5. The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios
I like physics. I like superheroes. Learning is fun. What could be better?

6. How to Write Funny: Add Humor to Every Kind of Writing by John Kachuba
This has been on my shelf for a long time. Need to dig in.

7. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
I believe some of the Amazon reviews on this one referred to it as leftist propaganda. Others said it was rightist propaganda. Personally, the political leanings of the undead are of no concern to me. I'm much more interested in simply surviving the zombie threat.

8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
I can’t NOT read it.

No comments: