Thursday, June 12, 2008

Reel Deal

I love garage sales. It's like having a Goodwill store on every corner. Over that past few weeks, I've managed to hit a decent number of garage sales. I've specifically been looking for tools, a small desk to replace our over-large desk, kids toys, video games, and anything else that catches my eye. Thus far, I've picked up good deals on some toys for Jesse, a jigsaw, and even some random free stuff people were looking to unload. I'm still looking for a small desk and a couple bench-top power tools but we'll see.

Anyway, this post is specifically about something I picked up last weekend. We came across a reel lawn mower at a nearby garage sale. It's a couple years old and I think it originally came from Walmart or Sam's club. I'm not sure. It really doesn't matter. Since we moved to the new house and now have a smaller yard, I've been thinking about a reel mower for some time. We have a perfectly good gas mower so I couldn't justify buying a new mower just for fun. But, it's hard to turn down a good deal on something you were curious about anyway.

Well, so far, I really like the mower. It cuts reasonably well. I did have to sharpen the blades and I greased the whole thing while I had it apart. I think it will do even better if I adjust the blades a bit more. Otherwise, the mower has a lot going for it:

  • No need to buy gas specifically for the mower.
  • Environmentally friendly.
  • I need the extra exercise.
  • Doesn't require extra time...just more effort.
  • Takes up less space in the garage.
  • Quieter. This means I can actually hear the music from my headphones. It also means I can mow earlier in the day and later in the evening without bothering the neighbors. I can also mow during nap time without worrying about waking the kids.
  • It's kind of therapeutic to see all the grass clippings go flying.
Anyway, I haven't gotten rid of the other mower. I'm not sure I'm ready for that just yet. Still, we'll see how the next few mowings go.

No comments: