Tuesday, May 15, 2007

New Wheels


I looked at a lot of cars. I mean A LOT of cars. Seriously, I checked out everything from a 1963 Dart to a 1984 Corvette. I have little doubt that my search drove my very patient wife crazy. But, the search is over…I have a new-to-me vehicle. I scored a one-owner 1995 Honda Civic EX last night. It could use some work with a buffer but, otherwise, the thing is in great shape.

The car doesn’t really have the “cool-factor” I was going for. I mean, compared the Firebird and Cutlass convertibles I considered, the Civic is downright lame. I mean, can you see a Civic with a massive, fiery bird on the hood? THAT’S just silly.

So it lacks the swank of the Firebird. That’s sad but ok. It’s difficult to argue when I look at what the Civic does have going for it:

  1. Roomy enough for me to buzz around town with my son.
  2. Fuel efficiency.
  3. Reliability.
  4. A zippy VTEC engine.
  5. Rides and feels like a go-cart.
  6. A power sunroof (It’s not a convertible and it doesn’t have t-tops, but it’s decent).
  7. 5-Speed manual transmission (way fun).
  8. The name is a palindrome.

I’m hoping it all adds up to something I can keep and enjoy for a very long time. Maybe even long enough that I can scrimp and save enough to splurge on that project/hobby vehicle I’m always looking for. That being said, I’m not ruling out the possibility of a giant flaming hood-bird flying into my future.

Now all the Civic needs is a name. I've already used The Red Scare so that's out. The Baked Bean? Scooter? Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Yay! A Civic! Our household includes 2 Civics, one of which has belonged to my family since I was in third grade... they're good cars. I reinforced my love of the Civic about a week ago, when we got 37 mpg going to Wisconsin and back. No complaints there, especially considering gas prices.

To those that don't own Civics, another palindrome applies: Sad... no Hondas.

Can't help you in the name department, however.